American Epilepsy Society Seed Grant Program
This program is intended to foster collaborative interactions between two or more established investigators* to make future grants related to epilepsy more competitive for larger awards, and to fuel multi-investigator projects. These small awards are designed to enable information exchange/technology transfer, travel of postdoctoral fellows between laboratories, and modest supplies for the project.
• At least one PI must be an active member of the Society
• Must be a new initiative that will add value to the field or fill a gap in knowledge
• Techniques in a collaborative effort must be complementary
• Must involve two or more established investigators, at least one of which is an epilepsy-focused investigator.
• Although not required, trans-disciplinary projects, projects integrating clinical and basic research, and research directions with translational relevance are encouraged.
*An established investigator is defined as having at least an Associate Professor or equivalent level appointment, and who has a history of successful NIH/NSF/VA funding. Their work can be focused on basic, translational, or clinical research.
Funding: A maximum of five one-year grants in the amount of $20,000 each will be awarded annually. Grants are non-renewable.
Application should be no more than two pages not counting the face page and include:
a) a face page (use this Word document or facsimile)
b) an overview of the research and technical expertise of the participating laboratories/clinical research sites.
c) the research collaboration that is proposed,
d) how the seed grant mechanism will foster this research and the overall collaboration, and
e) a budget.
Applications should also include an NIH format Biosketch for all principal investigators, including present and past funding. This Biosketch should highlight the 5 most significant publications of each investigator published over the past 10 years.
There are three rounds of consideration each year. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of the Research & Training Council and results will be announced within six weeks of the application deadline.
Submission deadlines (no extensions):
• March 29, 2013
• June 29, 2013
• September 30, 2013
Applications (in Word or PDF format) should be sent to the AES Office by email to email@example.com by close of business on the date of the deadline.