Call for Candidates: Association of Women Surgeons Foundation Visiting Professor Program
Deadline: June 10, 2012
The AWS Visiting Professor Program provides a wonderful opportunity for a distinguished woman surgeon and surgical educator, and an academic medical center to interact in a positive and professional manner.
AWS Visiting Professors have an opportunity to share professional and personal experiences with Department Chairs, Faculty, Residents and Students through grand rounds, walk rounds, lecture and research presentations and other arranged opportunities.
Medical Centers provide the platform for the experience by hosting the AWS Visiting Professor at a breakfast, luncheon and/or dinner meetings, and arranging for clinical experiences.
Visiting Professor Responsibilities:
• Applicants must be an AWS member in good standing.
• Travel to the institution selected by the AWS Foundation and participate in a two-day program. The visits usually involve lectures, discussion groups, patient evaluation, patient rounds and possibly operative procedures.
• Interact with local women surgical faculty, residents, and medical students.
• Share information about AWS and AWS Foundation at appropriate opportunities.
• Make your own travel and accommodation reservations.
• Submit an expense form with back-up receipts to AWS Foundation within 30 days following your presentation.
• Submit a report summarizing the visit within 30 days of your visit. Include information about your experience, your thoughts on the process and the overall program.
• The Host Department of Surgery will sponsor this program to support a two-day visit.
• Provide opportunities for interaction between the visiting professor and local women surgical faculty, residents, and students. (Options include: reception, breakfast, luncheon, grand round, and surgery.)
• Arrange the specific details of the visit directly with the Visiting Professor.
• Arrange appropriate privileges and legalities if operative procedures involving the Visiting Professor are planned.
• Submit a report summarizing your experience with this program within 30 days of hosting the AWS Visiting Professor.
The Association of Women Surgeons Foundation provides:
• Selection of the Visiting Professor and the Host-Site Institution.
• Travel (one round-trip, coach airfare with a 21-day advance purchase), accommodation expenses and $500 honorarium for the Visiting Professor.
Association of Women Surgeons
5204 Fairmount Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60515