Request for Nominations: Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship
The award recognizes an outstanding junior faculty member who has demonstrated leadership in the United States in addressing inequities in medical education and health care; demonstrated efforts in addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of minorities; and is committed to a career in academic medicine. The recipient receives a $15,000 grant to support his or her academic and professional activities. Funding for the fellowship begins in November of the year the fellowship is awarded. The recipient will be required to submit a final narrative and financial reports.
Request for Nominations
The deadline for receipt of nominations is May 4, 2012.
A medical school may nominate one current faculty member per year for this award. A candidate must:
be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
hold the rank of full-time assistant professor in an LCME-accredited U.S. medical school department;
have held the assistant professor position for no more than three years,
have received only one appointment as assistant professor; and
hold a M.D., Ph.D., or have earned another doctoral degree.
A nomination packet must contain 10 stapled sets (one with originals; nine with photocopies). Each stapled set must be collated in the following order:
1. a nomination letter from the medical school's dean or the dean's designate discussing the nominee's:
demonstrated leadership (or leadership potential) in addressing inequities in medical education and health care,
demonstrated efforts in (or potential for) addressing educational, societal, and health care needs of minorities, and
strong commitment to a career in academic medicine;
2. a letter of recommendation from the nominee's department or section chair;
3. a letter of recommendation of the nominee's choosing;
4. a personal statement from the nominee, which does not exceed four double-spaced pages, discussing his or her motivations and objectives for a career in academic medicine, and their research interests;
5. an itemized one-page budget with specific details on how the fellowship funds will be used; and
6. a current curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee, which clearly indicates exact date of appointment and contact information.
*All nomination letters and personal statement should be double-spaced with one inch margins, and size 12, Times New Roman font.
A nomination packet with 10 collated and stapled sets must be received by May 4, 2012. Late nominations will not be considered.
All nominations must be submitted to:
Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship Award Committee
c/o Angela R. Moses
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037-1127