Robert E. Shope International Fellowship in Infectious Diseases
The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene is accepting applications for its Robert E. Shope International Fellowship.
The Fellowship Committee selects candidates based on academic credentials, recommendations, quality of the research proposal, feasibility of completing the project, potential for enhancing international collaborative possibilities and demonstration of serious career interest in international research in tropical infectious diseases. Although projects addressing any arbovirus and/or emerging tropical infectious disease will be considered for award, priority will be given to those proposals focused on research topics involving arboviral diseases.
Applicants – Individuals with doctoral-level degrees who seek fellowship funding to support travel, living and research expenses to work in laboratories in the tropics to pursue studies in arbovirology and/or emerging tropical infectious diseases
Application deadline — May 15, 2012
Notice of Awards — Early August, 2012
• Full-time post-doctoral fellows (PhD, DVM, MD or the equivalent) with positions at North American institutions who study any tropical infectious disease in arbovirology and/or emerging tropical infectious diseases.
• Co-mentors must be identified both at a North American institution and at an international institution or site.
• Sponsoring North American and international institutions are responsible for assuring that the proposed studies are compliant with contemporary regulations, including those related to human subjects and pathogens.
• Projects must begin after August 1, 2012.
• Preference will be given to:
• Applicants with student membership in ASTMH ($25 annual dues)
• Applicants sponsored by an ASTMH member
• Applications focused on arbovirology and studies of related pathogens
Financial support of $25,000 for a short-term research experience in the tropics. The funding is to help defray travel costs, living expenses and/or research abroad.
American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
111 Deer Lake Road, Suite 100
Deerfield, Illinois 60015 USA
By Phone or Fax: