American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases/LIFER Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship in Liver Diseases Award
The AASLD/LIFER Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship in Liver Diseases Award is a one-year award of $75,000 intended to foster career development for an individual outside North America to perform clinical research within the United States in a liver-related area and who has shown commitment to excellence at an early stage of his or her research study. The award ensures that a significant portion of a young investigator's time is protected for research, with an overall objective of enabling the investigator to develop an independent and productive research career in liver disease.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Applicant must possess a doctoral degree, either an MD or equivalent and/or a PhD from an institution outside North America.
2. Applicant is within four years of completing gastroenterology or hepatology training, or if a PhD, within four years of the receipt of the degree, at the start of the award period. (A parental leave of absence can not be counted towards the four years of eligibility.)
3. Applicant must identify a sponsoring U.S. institution and a research mentor that is an AASLD member who agrees in writing to supervise his or her research.
4. Applicant must have a student or trainee Visa to the U.S.
5. Project is clinical. "Clinical Research" is defined as studies related to patients or disease processes having direct contact between the principal investigator and humans. Clinical research includes epidemiology and clinical trials in liver disease. At least 50 percent effort should be devoted to research activities.
6. Applicant is a member of AASLD.
7. All applications must be in English.
8. Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD award.
Award period: July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014
One award of $75,000 will be provided for one year. Funds may only be used for salary support or technical support/laboratory supplies for the investigator. No indirect costs are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the applicant in order to carry out the proposed research.
Funds will be issued to the recipient's institution and are not transferable to another recipient or another institution. AASLD must approve any award transfer to an institution other than the sponsoring institution listed on the application.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to AASLD within 60 days of completion of the award.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm, December 5, 2012.
Applicants may only submit for one (1) AASLD award or fellowship per year.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.