1 funding opportunities found in this category. Change the order of results:
Lowest Award to Highest
Highest Award to Lowest
Call for Applications: Sexual Medicine Society of North America SMSNA Scholars in Sexuality Research Grants Program
Deadline: January 31, 2014
The Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA) proudly announces “The SMSNA Scholars in Sexuality Research Grants Program.” This unique program offers young investigators who are interested in sexuality research the opportunity to obtain funding to support their research while engaged in qualifying research in sexuality.
It is the purpose of the SMSNA to increase public awareness of healthy sexuality and sexual problems, to foster the finest care for individuals suffering from sexual debility, and to encourage scholarship and research in human sexuality. It is our hope that this program will encourage young people to become interested in sexuality research and make it a focal point of their careers.
Funding is available for graduate or medical students, residents in graduate medical education training programs, and post-doctoral/post-residency fellows. Because sexual medicine is a multi-disciplinary field and sex impacts almost every aspect of human endeavor in some way, we encourage applications from aspiring researchers representing diverse backgrounds including but not limited to urology, psychology, psychiatry, gynecology, internal medicine, geriatrics, public health, physiology, genetics, molecular biology, social work, and law.
The size of awards will be commensurate with the experience of the scholar, the proposed duration of funding, and the scope and quality of the proposed research project. Maximum award amounts will be:
1. Medical/Graduate School Level: $3,000 for direct research costs and/or living expenses while the scholar conducts a Summer research project.
2. Resident: $5,000 to subsidize lab expenses during a lab year for a resident or post-doctoral fellow.
3. Post-Doctoral/Fellowship: $7,500 to subsidize a mentored one year fellowship in sexuality and sexual health. Smaller grants may be considered to subsidize research expenses for a post-doctoral fellow’s independent research projects with an established mentor as co-PI.
• Proof of grant expenditure is required at the end of fiscal year.
• Grant not intended to be the primary source of funding for travel, lodging, meals, or other costs for SMSNA meetings, but may supplement payment for these expenses. The primary purpose of the grant is to support research related expenses.
• The grant may supplement the grantee’s salary if not already fully funded.
Applicants are required to submit:
• A completed application form by the specified deadline.
• A detailed description of the research question divided into 4 sections, addressing the specific aims of the research, the background of the problem being addressed, preliminary data, and an outline of the proposed investigation including potential alternatives and problems that may be encountered. We recommend applications that are 5-8 pages in length for a medical school or residency applicant, and 8-10 pages for a fellow level applicant.
• A letter of support from a faculty mentor
• Two additional letters of recommendation, one of whom must be an SMS member.
• Provide documentation regarding other available funds (if any) supporting the proposed project, cosigned by the mentor.
• Include an estimated time to complete the proposed study.
The SMSNA encourages potential scholars to seek out mentors who are senior members of the SMSNA actively involved in sexuality research. Research under a suitable mentor outside of the society may be acceptable in some extraordinary circumstances for appropriate projects. If a proposed mentor is not a member of the SMSNA, we strongly encourage that s/he join the SMSNA prior to inception of the research project.
Final decisions on approval for funding will be made by the SMSNA grant disbursement committee based primarily on the merit of the proposed study, as well as applicant and mentor credentials, and the feasibility of the proposed study. All funded applicants will receive membership in the SMSNA at no charge for 2 years.
Initial disbursement of funds will occur in early June for investigator awards that are intended to subsidize a trainee’s summer research project. Funds for year-long projects will be disbursed July 1 to coincide with the start of the academic year and January 1 to correspond to the midpoint of the academic year. Customized disbursement of funds for projects that do not conform to these time-tables can be arranged at the request of the applicant/mentor and the discretion of the SMSNA grants disbursement committee.
Interim progress reports to the SMSNA grant disbursement committee are required for continuation of funding. At a minimum, a 2 page report at the midpoint of the research time frame will be required, with additional follow-up points required for some projects at the discretion of the grant’s committee. The SMSNA will be credited as sponsor in any presentations and publications that result from the research project. Grant recipients will be required to present abstracts based on their research at either the Winter SMSNA research meeting or the American Urological Association annual meeting. Recipients are further encouraged to publish their results in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
Completed applications should be sent to:
Attention SMSNA GRANTS
SMSNA Executive Office
PO Box 160
Holly Ridge, NC 28445
Phone: (910) 667 2457