American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry Travel Awards
The American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, cognizant of the need to recruit future physicians early in their education, offers the opportunity for medical students and residents who are interested in learning about the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of substance use disorders to attend the AAAP 24th Annual Meeting and Symposium at the Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center from December 5 -8, 2013. Travel stipends are only available for medical students (not undergraduate/bachelor degree students), residents and PGY-V or higher Addiction Psychiatry residents (fellows). Applications from trainees in non-Addiction Psychiatry fields are also encouraged. Applicants will be assessed based on their interest, abilities and potential for contribution to the field.
Deadline for submissions: September 3, 2013
Decision notifications: October 2013
Medical Student Travel Awards
Travel stipends are available for medical students. Travel and lodging costs will be provided, and the meeting registration fee will be waived.
Please Submit the Following Materials
1. A brief (less than 500 words) essay about your interest and achievements in the addictions
2. A current Curriculum Vitae
3. A letter of reference from a medical school faculty member detailing the applicant’s capabilities and potential contribution to the field.
Resident and Addiction Psychiatry Fellow Travel Awards
Travel and lodging costs will be provided, and the meeting registration fee will be waived. The applicant must be one of the following:
a resident in a general psychiatry program
a resident in a psychiatric subspecialty other than addiction psychiatry
a PGY 5 or higher addiction psychiatry resident (fellow) in an ACGME-accredited Addiction Psychiatry subspecialty program
Applicants - Please submit the following materials by email to email@example.com:
1. A letter of interest (500 words or less) detailing your experience, knowledge and career path. Please include objective indicators of interest in addictive disorders (elective rotations in addiction treatment facilities, research projects in the field of Addictions, volunteer work in the field or provision of clinical care).
2. A current Curriculum Vitae
3. A letter of reference from a residency director detailing the applicant’s capabilities and potential contribution to the Addiction field in clinical, research and/or teaching areas. Letters may be addressed to the AAAP Education Review Committee or as you see fit. Letters of support should be faxed (401) 272-0922 or emailed (preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awardees will be notified in early October
Reimbursements for travel and lodging will be provided AFTER the annual meeting. Awardee must retain all original copies of receipts and submit those with his/her Travel Expense Report for reimbursement not to exceed $1200. Completed, signed forms with original receipts should all be mailed directly to the AAAP National Office after December 8, 2013.
For questions, please contact the AAAP National Office at (401) 524-3076 or email email@example.com.