American Society of Pharmacognosy Matt Suffness Award
The Matt Suffness (Young Investigators Symposium) Award, is intended to recognize the contributions of younger natural product scientists, and to provide a special, timely forum for them to present results from their research at the annual ASP meeting. The Award also recognizes and honors the memory of Dr. Matt Suffness. Dr. Suffness served as the Society’s President in 1989-1990, during which time he initiated the “Young Investigator’s Symposium” which now bears his name.
The Awards and Funds Committee has been charged with the selection of speakers according to the following procedure and criteria:
• The number of speakers per year shall be limited to one, but may be none if suitable nominations are not received in a particular year.
• Nominees must be ASP members.
• Nominees shall be within 12 years of receiving their Ph.D., and within 10 years of gaining their first independent position (e.g., Assistant Professor or equivalent position in industry or government).
• A nomination must be accompanied by the nominee’s CV, an abstract of the presentation proposed by the nominee, and relevant reprints (maximum of 4). Selected speakers will be invited to submit a short review paper to the Journal of Natural Products.
• Nominations will be solicited in the Newsletter, on the Website, and from recipients of the Research Achievement Award. Any current member of the ASP may submit nominations, however, self-nominations will not be accepted.
• The Awards and Funds Committee must keep in close contact with the appropriate ASP meeting Scientific Program Committee.
• The deadline for nominations for this award is February 15.
The Matt Suffness Award consists of complimentary Registration at the annual meeting of the ASP and $1,000 to help offset the costs associated with travel and attendance at the conference. Applications should be submitted via email to William P. Jones, Chair, ASP Awards and Funds Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org)