Hospice and Palliative Nurses Foundation and Project on Death in America Nursing Leadership Award in Palliative Care
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Foundation, in accordance with a grant from the Project on Death in America, selects a nurse from nominated candidates who has emerged as a leader in palliative care and whose work has improved nursing care for dying patients and their families.
The focus of the Nursing Leadership Award in Palliative Care is to transform our society’s medical culture and give priority to education, training, and clinical service in end-of-life care issues. By publicizing the activities and efforts of nursing leaders, and their impact on improving end-of-life care, the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Foundation furthers the mission of Project on Death in America to understand and transform the culture and experience of dying and bereavement.
The award is competitive and one winner is selected from the nomination pool, by the HPNF PDIA Nursing Leadership Award Review Committee, consisting of HPNF Board members and HPNA members. The awardee is recognized at the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine/Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association Annual Assembly. The award includes a $750 cash prize and travel-related expenses to attend the Annual Assembly. The award recipient is encouraged to submit an article for publication in a future issue of the Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing.
To be eligible for the award, nominees must:
· be a current HPNA Member
· work in the field of hospice and/or palliative nursing care with his/her compassionate, skilled work and end-of-life care implemented in the healthcare system
· be viewed as someone who promotes and supports improving end-of-life care
· be seen as a leader in the field of hospice and/or palliative care in his/her setting especially in the relief of pain
· promote a better understanding of the experiences of dying and bereavement
· empower caregivers to become agents of change within their own healthcare organization
· have implemented or effected one of the following:
o educational program
o training program
o research specific to hospice/palliative care
o model service delivery program
o national policy changes
o nomination materials must be received by HPNF on or before June 1
· The HPNF PDIA Nursing Leadership Award Review Committee takes into account adherence to submission guidelines, completeness of nomination materials and quality of responses when reviewing nominations
· Deadline is strictly enforced
· Submit PDIA Nursing Leadership Award Nomination form and any required attachments to HPNF by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 412-787-9305 on or before June 1.