Call for Candidates: Association of Women Surgeons Foundation Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professor Program
Deadline: June 10, 2013
The Association of Women Surgeons and the AWS Foundation are pleased to announce that beginning in 2013 a new Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professorship will be awarded in recognition of Kim (1956-2012), who served in the AWS Leadership from 1997 – 2002 and as AWS President in 2000/2001.
Kim provided outstanding leadership to this organization and was an inspiration to all who had the privilege to work with her. The Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professorship recognizes outstanding leadership in our profession and provides an opportunity for networking and mentorship. Kim demonstrated excellence in these areas and it is fitting that the program is named in her honor.
The Visiting Professor Program provides a wonderful opportunity for both a distinguished woman surgeon and surgical educator and an academic medical center to interact in a positive and professional manner.
Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professors have an opportunity to share professional and personal experiences with Department Chairs, Faculty, Residents and Students through grand rounds, walk rounds, lectures and research presentations and other arranged opportunities.
Medical Centers provide the platform for the experience by hosting the Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professor at a Breakfast, luncheon, and/or dinner meetings and arranging for clinical experiences.
Visiting Professor (VP) Responsibilities:
• Applicants must be an AWS member in good standing.
• A VP must be able to coordinate with the institution to determine the appropriate time for the visit. Visits usually include lectures, discussion groups, patient evaluation, patient rounds and possibly operative procedures and take place over two days.
• A VP must be willing to interact with local women surgical faculty, residents and medical students.
• A VP must be able to share information about AWS and the AWS Foundation at appropriate opportunities – requesting copies of the 2013 AWS Pocket Mentor and Membership Applications, which could be shipped directly to your selected medical institution.
• A VP must make her own travel and accommodation reservations – institutions can provide recommendations.
• A VP should work with the selected institution to make all the arrangements – finalize the dates, times, schedule, accommodations, meals, etc.
• A VP must submit an expense form with appropriate back-up receipts to the AWS Foundation within 30 days after the visit.
• A VP must submit a report summarizing the visit within 30 days as well. Please include information about your experience and your thoughts on the process and the overall program.
• The Host Department of Surgery will sponsor the program and provide a schedule for the two-day visit.
• Provide opportunities for interaction between the Visiting Professor and local women surgical faculty, residents, and students. (Options include: reception, breakfast, luncheon, grand rounds and surgery.)
• Arrange the specific details of the visit directly with the Visiting Professor.
• Arrange for appropriate privileges and legalities if operative procedures involving the Visiting Professor are planned.
• Submit a final report summarizing your experience with this program within 30 days of hosting the Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professor – submit to the AWS Office.
AWS Foundation Responsibilities:
• Selection of the Visiting Professor and the Host-Site Institution.
• Provide reimbursement for travel (one round-trip coach airfare with a minimum of a 21-day advance purchase), accommodations and a $500 honorarium.