Request for Proposals for Clinical Studies on Benign Colorectal Disorders
Letter of Intent Deadline: August 1
Application Deadline: October 1
Through the RFP Program, the Research Foundation intends to encourage the conduct of well designed clinical trials leading to a definitive answer to a specific colorectal program. The goal of the Research Foundation’s RFP program is to foster outstanding research in specific areas of colorectal diseases or disorders leading to the improvement and management of common, yet understudied colorectal questions. Pilot studies or phase I, II, or III trials are all appropriate clinical study designs. A peer review mechanism with emphasis on scientific merit will be used to rate proposals.
• The proposed research must be hypothesis-driven and investigator-initiated
• The proposed research must be conducted within the United States or Canada
• ASCRS member must be the Principal Investigator or a Co-Principal Investigator
• The number of RFP grants and the level of funding will be made at the discretion of the Research Foundation Board of Trustees.
• The award may be funded in whole or in part.
• The award need not be given every year.
• Funds are for direct costs only and are intended to establish new studies.
The RFP Program is targeting the following benign colorectal conditions as listed in alphabetical order. The RFP includes, but is not limited to, the following topics:
• Anastomotic Leak (roles of new technologies in reducing leak rate)
• Anorectal Surgery (reduction of post-operative pain)
• Conservative management of diverticulitis (may involve a trial to determine appropriate role of percutaneous drainage of diverticular abscess or a trial of surgery versus observation after recovery from diverticulitis or other similar trial ideas)
• Drain versus no drain after low anterior resection
• Parastomal Hernias (optimal techniques and best preventative method)
• Simple and Complex Anal Fistulae (optimal surgical & medical treatment)
American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
85 W. Algonquin Rd., Suite 550
Arlington Heights, IL 60005